Saturday, March 10, 2012

1964 Grand Seiko Chronometer SuperOyster "mod"

While the 1964 Grand Seiko Chronometers are perfect in many ways (history, significance, dial, hands and indices and, above all, the handwind chronometer cal. 43999 movement, I have found it difficult to pair an 18mm bracelet or strap to the heavy lugs without feeling a sense of imbalance.


http://catalog.antiquorum.com/catalog.html?action=load&lotid=159&auctionid=253

On the way out of the door to a party last night, I decided on a whim to pair 18mm endlinks with William Jean's 22mm SuperOyster from eBay. Wow - harmony! IMHO the heavy lugs combine perfectly with the SuperOyster:




On the SuperOyster, the GS is reminiscent of the 1960's Rolex Oysterdate Precision, another watch I wouldn't throw out of my bed:



(Image from beckertime.com)


Of course, a Precision would buy you about 6 GS chronometers, and you would still not have a certified chronometer, hacking, quick-set date, a solid link Oyster bracelet or a spring-latched safety clasp.


I still need to spend an hour or two tweaking the endlinks for a perfect fit, but I'm very pleased with this "mod".

No comments:

Post a Comment